It is so easy to get down on ourselves when things just aren’t going our way. Some days you wake up and you have that feeling that it’s just not going to be your day.
BUT, FEAR NOT it can all be turned around and you can make life your best friend again. Firstly, unless you are a doctor and you are saving lives every day (although this article will still definitely help you amazing humans), your work is not a case of life or death. You will not die if you do not hit target this week, or you do not finish all your work to perfection, or your boss tells you you need to do better. There are more important things in life than what you get paid for. You need to look after yourself first and ensure that beautiful brain of yours is getting as much love as it can and you know how to build confidence quickly.
1) Write down all your past achievements. It could be as small as ‘I woke up on time today’ or as big as ‘I have the highest number of sales across the board’, write them all down. Keep them flowing and know that you have made a positive impact on other people’s lives. It’s a super simple exercise that requires very little thinking and time but can instantly build confidence and change your mindset to a more positive one.
2) Ask for what you want, and write that down as well. If you don’t believe in the universe or a higher power, that is absolutely fine – this quick activity really helps to clarify what is important to you and what your ideal situation is. You can then write an action plan to get to that point. Maybe you could change your tactic, switch up how you handle your tasks or learn about why you’re so nervous about your boss getting down your neck.
3) Speak to your colleagues. Bouncing ideas off of people can be such an uplifting experience, and a jumbled and negative headspace can instantly become tranquil and clear once you’ve got the thoughts out of your mind. They’ll usually be able to tell you how amazing you are, and how your efforts are still in the right direction. They may even be able to give you some advice as to how they’ve been doing things differently and it seems to be working for them.
4) Have a good old think about what might be different in your routine or your schedule and re-evaluate. Sometimes we get complacent and used to things that we need to refresh and boost the way we do life. A fool-proof way to build confidence is try learning about something new in your industry, a new email system or a new marketing or sales technique, maybe we just need to learn more about humans to be able to make our life more efficient and better!
5) Lastly, know that some things are just out of your control. You can try and try and try and if it’s just not going your way, call it quits and enjoy your day. Sometimes there are things that just won’t happen. That client won’t get back to you, your boss is in meetings all day, or that particular staff member won’t behave. And that’s ok, you cannot be in control of everything nor can you influence everything. Just try your hardest and enjoy the journey.