It’s Global Employee Health and Fitness month in May and I’m all about making sure you know you deserve to feel good and look after yourself first, above everything else. We spend a huge portion of our day at work, so it’s imperative we adopt wellness at work ideas into our day, innit! I’m all about making wellness easy and simple by finding short and sweet tasks that pack a huge punch when practiced frequently. So have a look through the list below, circle what you’d like to try and schedule it in!
Wellness at work for you
If you’re self-employed, work autonomously or your company doesn’t have a huge wellness initiative, these ideas are for you!
- Have regular breaks: Try the pomodoro technique. Every 25 minutes have a 5 minute break, or every 50 minutes have a 10 minute break. Give these a go for a couple of days and find what works best for you.
- Get some steps in. On your break, stretch your legs and move around. Walk around your office, head outside or go for a long lunchtime walk. Moving and grooving shakes off any stagnant and tired energy.
- Shake things out! Stand up and shake, shake your arms, legs, head, face. Head to the toilet or bathroom if you feel silly, but again it invigorates your body so you can go back to work with a fresher head.
- Practice yoga. Try a 20 minute session in your office or space. At Yoga LIVE we specialize in this! Creating some movement in your day with gentle stretches helps you to feel more sane back at the desk…
- Breathe and relax. At regular intervals through the day, relax your shoulders, relax your jaw and take 3 lovely breaths.
These are the most straight-forward and effective wellness at work ideas out there. They might sound overly simple, but that’s where their magic lies. Keeping things accessible and quick is where we notice the most ease when implementing. Make a promise to yourself to make this work for a few weeks to a month, and you’ll notice the habit and good feelings grow!
Wellness at work for others
If you’re looking after other people in a team, or want to make others feel good around you. Give these a go. Better yet, chuck an email round with these wellness at work ideas and ask what the team would like to try!
- Have a joint lunch! Get everyone together, or a few groups together to share food. You could make a theme each week and have a member bake or create something for the team.
- Create a steps challenge. On apps like Samsung Health, you can create teams for your staff members. It gets them working together, playing as a team and moving for their health.
- Practice yoga together. Yoga LIVE provides live online sessions that can be done in any space. Get your team together in your office space or outside and practice at a time that suits you.
- Compliment day. Once a month, get staff members to write something lovely about each team member anonymously. Send them around to each staff member for instant good feelings.
- Each morning, hold a space for meditation or breathing. Encourage staff to sit at their desks and 5 minutes before starting, pop a recording on or run through some breath exercises.
Tips to make it work
If you’ve tried to implement wellness at work ideas into your day with no luck, try these tactics:
- Replace the story in your head. Rather than telling yourself you’ll manage just fine by plugging on, remind yourself of this truth:
- I am happier when I’m calm. I feel better, work better and am more capable when I look after myself first.
- Put an alarm on your phone to remind you.
- It doesn’t have to be something like ‘get up and move!’ (which you’re likely to ignore…), try and make it more encouraging like ‘moving feels good, and I like feeling good!
- Get someone to hold you accountable. Ask your colleague or manager to check in with you at the end of the day or week to see how you’ve got on.
- Reward yourself. When you’ve been able to look after yourself at the end of the week, do something good for yourself! You’ll already be feeling better for implementing the wellness at work ideas, and you’ll feel even better receiving that treat!
Wellness at work can have a powerful impact on our ability to focus, our energy, our happiness and this all have a huge impact on how much we enjoy work. Take some time to work out how to implement wellness into your day, and enjoy the good feelings that come from it.
Yoga LIVE at work
And if you’re after an initiative that’s affordable, straight-forward and SO DANG FEEL-GOOD then try out Yoga LIVE. Each week we meet live for 3 sessions, in our own spaces. We’re all there supporting and guiding each other, and our monthly challenges are great ways to stay motivated whilst tackling all our work. Join us here for $10 a month and get your 2-week free trial. You’re totally capable of feeling better amongst the workload, and your enjoying each day. Join Yoga LIVE here.